Thursday, July 18, 2013

Author Spotlight- Tim Meyer


    










Hey everyone! Today I get to welcome local author, Tim Meyer to my blog! I got the great opportunity to interview him and ask him fifteen book-related and not-so-book related questions yesterday and I am excited to share them with you on today's Author Spotlight post.



So who is Tim Meyer??


Image of Tim Meyer

 Tim Meyer is an author working on several upcoming projects. He currently resides in New Jersey, near the shore. When he's not writing, hunting ghoulish entities, or balling hard on the basketball court, he's usually annoying the crap out of his wife, the most amazing person in his life. The two of them live with their cats, rambunctious monsters who destroy almost everything.




        Here's my interview with Tim:

     
        1) When did you decide you wanted to be a writer? 

  TM:   I started writing in the fourth grade. I always knew I wanted to tell stories, but it wasn't until later in life when I found the motivation to write a novel and actually finish it
    
 2)  How long did it take you to write your first novel? And how did you come up with the idea?
http://www.timmmeyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Demon_Blood-_Enlight_Cover_for_Kindle4-214x300.jpg   TM:  It took a solid two years to write. Two more before I had the courage to submit it places. The idea? I basically wondered what would happen if there was a literal war between Heaven and Hell and mankind was caught in between. That idea became Demon Blood: Enlightenment.
    
    3) Writer’s often hit the infamous “writer’s block” at some point in their work. Do you struggle with that a lot? If so, how do you get over it? What advice could you give other aspiring authors on it?

       TM: I guess I'm lucky in the fact I've never had writer's block. There's been periods of time when I haven't felt like writing, and I've had to force myself. But never had I hit a roadblock and been unable to find a way around it, or start over from the beginning and try again. That usually happens when I don't do any pre-writing or outlining. Those are good ways to prevent writer's block.  

          4) Is there a specific author that has influenced your work or inspired you to want to become a writer?


    TM: As a horror writer, the obvious influence is Stephen King. But I feel Robert McCammon and Brian Keene have had a major impact on the way I view writing within the genre.
  

   5) You’re obviously a big fan of horror, given you write specifically on this genre. So what is your favorite all-time horror book? And all-time horror movie?  
  
        TM:  Oh man! So many to choose from! If forced, I'd say Robert McCammon's Swan Song, but it changes every once in a while. Movie -- maybe The Exorcist.    
        
        6) What is your favorite book to movie adaptation? 
   TM: Probably American Psycho. Both mediums are perfect in their own little way.
       
         7) Are there any horror movie remakes that you enjoyed more than the original movies? 
   TM: (Chuckling) I generally despise remakes of any kind. 
        
 8) Out of all your books, which is your favorite and why? 

TM: Stephen King once said that the book he's currently working on is his favorite, and that seems to hold true for me too. However, out of the three books I have currently published, I'd say In the House of Mirrors is my favorite, just because I've grown so much as a writer since my early attempts.



    9)  What book of yours would you recommend to someone that isn’t big on all the “horror stuff” but curious about your work?
    
 TM: In the House of Mirrors. It has its feet grounded in reality, although the book takes the reader to some crazy places. It has a fantasy-horror element to it, but it also borderlines the thriller/detective-mystery genre.





    10) What book of yours would you recommend to someone that IS big into all that horrific stuff?
 
    TM: Demon Blood: Enlightenment, for sure. It's an epic horror novel that has--as the title suggests--lots of demons and lots of blood. 


           11) What is the hardest part of being a writer?

    TM: Hardest part of being a writer is finding time to write. Working a full-time job (40-50hrs a week), spending time with family, owning a house, recording and editing a weekly podcast, and writing for a few different websites doesn't leave me a lot of time to get my writing done. I set word count goals for myself, where I want to be in a week's time and do my best to hit those numbers. 


           12)  Is there a specific vice you have when you’re writing?

    TM: Coffee. Coffee. And more coffee. It used to be cigarettes and coffee but I kicked the habit a few years back so now it's just coffee. And music, depending on the mood and the nature of my writing. 



          13) Why did you choose self-publishing over traditional publishing? Did you try the traditional way first? Do you have an agent?

    TM: Great question! I could go on for hours about this, but it ultimately comes down to what it is a traditional publisher can do for you that you can't already do yourself. I felt that I was able put a product on the market that was just as good as one put out by a TP. My first novel generated interest from a few micro-publishers, but ultimately they passed--for a few good reasons, but length was a major factor. I decided my work was good enough to test the waters and self-published it, never looking back. The major thing I researched was what a traditional publisher actually does for an author. They provide you with a cover, professional editing, and distribution. Some will help with promotions, but most expect the author to do these things on their own. I decided try things myself and see where it takes me. 


    Nope. Don't have an agent. 

         14) What advice would you give a writer that got a bad review or a rejection letter?

   TM: Rejection is inevitable. Don't let it get to you. Not everyone is going to appreciate everything that's out there. It doesn't mean you failed. You need rhino skin in any creative medium, whether it be film, acting, writing novels, or music. You're going to have haters. Sometimes it's a good thing. It can act as a motivator just as much as a downer. I say use it. Learn from it. Embrace negative feedback just as much as the positive.
   
      15) And last, when you aren’t writing what do you do for fun?

     TM: When I'm not writing, I'm usually spending my free time with my wife, going on adventures, playing basketball, and hanging out with friends. I host a weekly podcast with two good friends and that's always something I look forward to.


   To find out more information about Tim Meyer, you can visit his website Here

   To buy his books, click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment