Sunday, April 14, 2013

GUEST BLOGGER- ELIZABETH ALSOBROOKS












I wasn't going to write an actual blog post for my guest spot on Natalie's blog, but after reading the excellent post she sent me I was shamed into it! There seems no reason to reinvent the wheel, so I, too, will talk about where my story idea came from.

I'm a fanatical reader with a very vivid imagination and a degree in history and English, so it's pretty easy to assume I know a 'lot' about ancient and medieval legends and myths. The romantic in me has always been fascinated by tales of the Knights Templar and the Illuminati, of the strange stories of ancient civilizations and modern man's attempt to find scientific proof that mere legends are fact. The "what if" of everything gets me enthusiastic, and rather than "why," as a child I always wanted to know, "why not"?

Like many, many writers, the first novel I wrote has never been published. It was an historical vampire romance set in Russia during the reign of Peter the Great. The why is different from many though. I got an agent almost at once by pitching at a writing conference. Then, I got an editor from Zebra who wanted a sample. Then she wanted more. Unfortunately, she decided it was "too dark" for their line (keep in mind this was nearly 30 years ago!).

About that time, I decided to complete college and as a single mom I needed to find a decent job. I loved the literature and history classes, and what else do you do with those degrees? Yes, I became a teacher. I continued to learn (that lifelong thirst for information gene) and eventually taught college. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how far from fiction my writing had become. In an attempt to rekindle my creative spirit, I retired from teaching and began to write again. I discovered that I was no longer the same writer. The marketplace was completely different too. I did send out my manuscript once, but the response was, so what? Where are the zombies and the other monsters? Just a vampire romance? BOOOOoooooring! It was cutting edge when I first wrote it, but….

Write what you know? I knew legend and myths and as Shakespeare said, we don't need to write anything new, we can just rewrite the past. So I did. Illuminati: The Book of Life was born from a widely popular conspiracy theory based on ancient cave drawings about a super-human alien race who built the pyramids and were considered gods, and a wealth of historical and mythological stories.

 The story resonates with me, through me, and from me. Once I had the bones in my head, the   characters came to life and finished the telling. The story continues, and I can't wait to see what happens next. Stay tuned for: Illuminati: The Tree of Life, and a YA series that's a spinoff of the adult series.



Elizabeth Alsobrooks' Illuminati series, Book I

Picture
Ljluka  Vargas, immortal prince and the cool-headed enforcer for the Vargas Dynasty,
must go up against his most intriguing enemy, the mysterious Nalini. She intends
to beat him to the secret archaeological site of The Book of Life which contains
the genetic secrets of their ancient ancestors.

In order to escape the cruel domination of her family and gain freedom for her mother, Nalini assumes the role of assassin. In her rival, the sleek and deadly Luc, she finds a different kind of danger. She’s supposed to eliminate him, but that would foil destiny’s plan for them to be together.

It’s a race from power-hungry D.C. cabinet rooms through the secret realms of the Vatican, from cloud forests and desert sands to the caverns of the Underworld as mankind hangs in the balance. For whoever possesses the Book of Life has the potential to rule the
world, offering or denying immortality to the human race.


 Anyone looking for further information can check out her website http://www.elizabethalsobrooks.com/
You can also find Elizabeth on Facebook ,  Goodreads and Twitter


Great post today Elizabeth. Thank you for stopping by. I always wanted to be a teacher, or at least that's what I went to college for. I was leaning toward Elementary Ed, Art or creative writing. However, I landed a job right after graduation that I couldn't pass up and I've been there since. Sometimes I still wonder what teaching would have been like but now that I've taken up writing as a second "full-time" job, once in a while I get to guest read my self-published children stories at an elementary school. So I kind of get a taste for it.
But obviously all your degrees and your experience in the classroom is pay
ing off because I see your book is getting excellent praise from fellow authors.

Everyone check it out:
 "When Elizabeth Alsobrooks holds a mirror up to life you can be sure she catches it all. Poet, novelist, scholar, publisher, professor, literary liaison – how could it be otherwise? This is a writer for all seasons, of all seasons. ILLUMINATI is as good a single word capture as you could get for her eclectic mind and imagination. Follow the implications through these pages and you will travel the crossroads of authentic history as well as a secret past that might have been. But you will scarcely have to leave your own time – or your heart – in order to feel the universal passions of her characters and their intrigues. Savor it all in this intelligent and lyrical tour de force."--Thomas Sullivan, Pulitzer nominated author of Dust of Eden, Water Wolf, Born Burning...

Strong, well-drawn characters walk a tight-rope of ancient legends and modern day intrigues, blending action a la Indiana Jones/Lara Croft with the lure of a Dan Brownesque mythology in a smart adventure/romance this talented debut author categorizes as urban fantasy reinvented. Then add feuding family pathos packed with surprises. These folks could have their own reality show: Affairs of the Rich and Immortal! Alsobrooks leads the reader along a daring chase that leaves plenty of teasing openings for series expansion. My personal favorite - the eloquently fawning servant Hassidim. I need a Hassidim. I want a Hassidim. And then, of course, there's the hunky brother, Andrew . . . but that, I'm told, is another story. I'll be looking forward to it. --Nancy Gideon, Author of the By Moonlight series…

Congratulations Elizabeth! Great work!

No comments:

Post a Comment