Tuesday, February 21, 2012

You are able

Hey everyone! Tell-Tale Publishing asked me to guest write on their blog page and I decided to share it on my page as well.


You Are Able by YA Author Natalie Carlisle


It’s easy to give up on your dreams. Giving up doesn’t result in possible failure or upsetting criticism. In fact, if you never go after your dreams, you don’t have to worry about anything. There will be no struggle, no stress, no rude comments, no chance of screwing it up . . . and absolutely no chance at accomplishment.

But you are capable of anything. Don’t sell yourself short because you’re scared. Everyone is scared at one point. I admit I was. I still am. I constantly battle with the “what ifs” and the insecurity that comes with putting my work out there for you all to read. I don’t think that will ever change, but I’m not going to let it stop me from trying.

By not trying you are already letting yourself down. You have already failed. You failed at believing in yourself. And to me, there can be no worse criticism.

You might not see it or feel it, but you are a strong, courageous and able person. More so than you will ever give yourself credit for. But that’s why we are meant to “follow our dreams.” Not because it’s impossible but because it’s possible. We can make them come true!

Will it be hard? Most definitely. But I have faith in you. Even if it takes years, that's nothing to be ashamed of. Following our dreams isn’t supposed to be on a specific timeline - It’s not supposed to have an end date. It only has a beginning date. The date you start is all that matters. Because trust me, once you've “reached your goals,” I doubt you are going to stop there. Once you realize what you're capable of, you push yourself that much harder to keep trying to be better at it. We have plenty of room for growth and the more we try, the better we will be.

If you are still scared about the outcome, if you are still nervous about what people will say, don’t let it discourage you. Following your dreams isn’t about them, it’s about you and what you are passionate about. If you are doing what you love, then all the bad stuff along the way, doesn’t matter. Take each as a stepping stone and keep climbing higher. There is always a rocky path, but it’s usually the most worthwhile.

Remember, you are a strong, courageous and able person and everyone you ever thought was or is great all started where you are now - At the beginning.

Don’t give up on yourself. You may surprise yourself.

I surprised myself by writing my first YA paranormal novel, The Shifted. Typing the last word in my manuscript was one of the best feelings I've ever had. I accomplished something I often thought would “never happen,” because I was too caught up in the stress of it all. Writer’s block, lack of creativity, interrupted time, etc. Take it from me, dealing with all that was worth it. Because knowing I am following my dreams, makes it all okay.

I hope you follow your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment